Subject: Re: What is a pc532?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 11/12/1994 01:42:17
> a pc532 is a single-board (i think) computer based on the ns32532
> microprocessor.  It was designed by those wacky engineers, the
> denziens of USENET.  8-)

Yup, it's a single-board machine.

> it has two SCSI busses, eight serial ports, and no display adapter.

Not only does it have two SCSI busses (one controlled by a National
DP8390(?) chip and the other by an Adaptec AIC6360), but the National
chip even runs the bus!  It's electrically an ISA bus, but the address
and data lines are SCSI.

> It doesn't have an ethernet, either, but i think somebody (who?)
> came up with plans to build one not so long ago.

There's also been some work done to do TCP/IP over SCSI, but most
controllers have broken target mode support so it takes careful
tuning of both ends to work.  The folks at Finland reported
ethernet speeds over SCSI, which is not surprising..

> and odd beast.

Hey!  Smile when you say that..  I've got one myself!  :-)

					Jordan