Subject: Installation of Netbsd/532 on the weekend
To: None <marcb@env.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 08/19/1994 09:59:13
This is a more complete reply ...

>    only thing missing (or confusing) was how much space to reserve
>    for the boot partition. We went for one whole cylinder (over kill
>    ?)

I had a real big one for a while, but now I use one cylinder just so
the other file systems start and end on cylinder boundaries.

>NS32000 ROM Debugger
>Version: Sat Jan 18 18:58:15 1992
>Auto-boot enabled

I'm using the version found on iceberg.cs.wwu.edu:pub/pc532.

>    handled it well, but interupt IO is going to be needed...
I agree ... would you like to get it working :)

>    the machine. (Phil is the source on sun-lamp up to date ?)
It is "up to date" but may not be identical source to the one that
generated the distribution.

>    My plans are now to get the X11 clients, nethack :) and tcsh up
>    and running. SLIP it to the Macintosh running X.

Sounds great!  But you may have to help find out why tcp stuff on the
pc532 hangs the network.  I have discovered that tcp over the "loop-back"
interface works great.  tcp over slip or ppp seems to hang real early
in the process.  I have a theory that the following things contribute
to the problems:

	- The polled scsi driver
	- medium quality serial driver ... it needs improvement

--Phil