Subject: cd /usr/src/lib/libc ; make install
To: None <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Julian H Stacey <Julian.H.Stacey@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 08/18/1994 16:52:54
Phil,
(CC port-pc532@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu)

Re your private mail (reply cc'd to list as good news, problems gone I think)

> I don't understand the problems you are having.  For some reason,
> your problems are often ones that I have never had.
Partly it was stock /usr/libexec/cc1 screwing me (& then perhaps
gcc-2.5.8 with unsifficient or wrong patches, not sure, Stuart was tracking
cc1 things, & he's on holiday.

I suggest this be committed to NetBSD sources:
=====
*** old/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/cc1/Makefile       Wed Aug 17 21:51:56 1994
--- new/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/cc1/Makefile       Wed Aug 17 22:06:30 1994
***************
*** 6,9 ****
--- 6,19 ----
  SRCS=         c-parse.c c-lang.c c-lex.c c-pragma.c c-decl.c \
                c-typeck.c c-convert.c c-aux-info.c c-iterate.c

+ .if ${MACHINE} == "pc532"
+ .if ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "ns32k"
+ install:
+       @echo "WARNING NetBSD uses gcc2.4.5, but its cc1 is no good for PC532"
+       @echo "Please manually make gcc-2.6.0 somewhere and install its cc1"
+       @# It's essential not to install a bad 2.4.5 cc1 as this generates
+       @# bad kernels (that create apparent 4 gig files etc).
+ .endif
+ .endif
+
  .include <../Makefile.cc1>
=====

Anyway enough autopsy ....

I got a new kernel from Mathias <leo@marco.de>, which is stable,
then compiled all src/ & installed, then made enough of gcc2.6.0
before it broke to get a cc1, & installed it,
then made a new kernel of my own that seems reasonably stable
& also does not exhibit classic illness signs of a kernel compiled with stock
cc1 (such as vi bombing out, & 4Gig file creation)

I have now left running a
	make -i clean cleandir obj all

> I did have trouble with make depend in libc, but haven't had the time
> to track it down.
It's the 1024 line limit in sh.
	(I reported it to current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
(we're more likely to suffer because when "pc532/" is used many times instead
of "i386/" its somewhat longer)
Cut & paste the breaking line to a shell, & you hear the `line full' beep.

BTW i'm now running with an auto boot config using self compiled boot
& kernel & /sbin/bim & everything - looks like I've arrived :-)

I see you (or someone) has also fixed the `odd numbered ttys dont work' bug.

It's looking good :-) Thanks for all your work !

PPS folks Re Phil's
> You need to use the "raw" partition.  Which I have as c.
This of course means /dev/sd0c, Not /dev/rsd0c, ie "whole, cooked, device".
--
Julian Stacey, Holz Str 27d, Munich, D-80469 Germany.
<stacey@freefall.cdrom.com>	Tel. +49 89 268616  ( TZ=GMT+1 )