Subject: Installation of Netbsd/532 on the weekend
To: None <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Marc Boschma <marcb@troy>
List: port-pc532
Date: 08/15/1994 12:05:37
Phil,

    Firstly, thanks for such a stable OS, compared to the last release!
    I'll give a run down on my installation to let you know of some
    of the problems and optimisations we found. Before I begin,
    special thanks to Luke (lm@rmit.edu.au) for all his help.

    We started the installation by reformating the drives. On the
    second drive (id 2) we disklabeled and installed a Netbsd file
    system (under Netbsd/386). On this file system we placed the
    distrubution, un-gzipped. On to a tape we wrote the ram.root and
    netbsd.rd.

    We where now ready to set it all up on the '532.

    We started of following the install instructions provided. The
    only thing missing (or confusing) was how much space to reserve
    for the boot partition. We went for one whole cylinder (over kill
    ?)

    Anyway, after answering all of the questions, the script ended
    and we looked about. We tried to mount the second drive and found
    that we had to disklabel it again. After that it would mount ok.
    Luke, with his over zealous fingers managed to union mount the
    second drive over the first (ie. mounted it on top of /mnt.... :)

    After another reboot of the RAM configuration, we managed to
    mount the drive correctly and un-tar the util.tar file.

    We also installed the netbsd.sd0.9600 kernel into /mnt/netbsd
    (will be /netbsd) and rebooted off the patched kernel (ie. the
    edit of address 2030). This worked great and we prepared to run
    /sbin/bim to set up autobooting. We did as the instructions told
    us and all looked well (in fact it still all looks well). When
    we rebooted the machine and at the rom prompt typed boot we got
    "Disk has not been configured for booting."

    After many tries at fixing this we gave up and wrote the /netbsd
    file to a new tape (yes the tape drive worked, a bit slowly, but
    worked all the same). I am using this to boot at the moment. Any
    ideas Phil, or anyone else. The ROM's header is:

NS32000 ROM Debugger
Version: Sat Jan 18 18:58:15 1992
Auto-boot enabled

    This ROM was burnt by David Burren (davidb@cpr.itg.telecom.com.au)
    many moons ago. Have things changed ?

    Images reports the same message as boot. I did try boot 0 1 to be
    explicit. Same result.

    Anyway back to the installtion. We then started the un-tars of
    the other files. These all went well. After this, to try out the
    OS we gzipped the distrubution files in parallel. The machine
    handled it well, but interupt IO is going to be needed...

    At this point we decided to bring it all up multi-user. This is
    where we discovered the switch into 7 bit mode problem that
    exists with the '386 Netbsd as well. The solution to this one is
    to recompile the libraries and getty/init etc. (ie. in
    /usr/include/sys/ttydefaults.h the C7 needs to become C8).

    Apart from that it all seems ok. Next is to get the source onto
    the machine. (Phil is the source on sun-lamp up to date ?)

    My plans are now to get the X11 clients, nethack :) and tcsh up
    and running. SLIP it to the Macintosh running X.

    Ps. be aware of my mail address. Currently fighting DNS out side
        of my control.                          vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Marc Boschma                          Email:    marcb@env.itg.telecom.com.au
Manager Development Support           Smail:    Locked Bag No. 4840
Environment, Network Systems, ITG               Melbourne, VIC  8100
Telecom Australia                     Phone:    +61 3 634 8798