Subject: NetBSD /sys/scsi code for pc532
To: None <phil@cs.wwu.edu, port-pc532@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Phil Budne <budd@cs.bu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 05/21/1994 23:36:15
I looked at using the NetBSD /sys/scsi code for the pc532 last night
(the tape drive I lucked into (a Viper 2525) has (mis)behaviors known
to mycroft's st.c).  Of course the scsi code itself builds just fine,
all of the pain is in the adaptor device driver (ncr.c).  The problems
are two fold;

The business of doing a "scsi_attach" is better tied into the generic
autoconfig process; with a hierarchy of "struct device" nodes where
you have;

	scsi adaptor
		scsi bus
			scsi device(s)

The actual call is made into isa.c which interacts with scsiconf.c
(scsibusattach), which probes the bus looking for devices.  No doubt
the appropriate code could be lifted from scsiconf.c, but I can't help
wondering if code duplication is wise considering the speed the code
base seems to move at!

The second pain is that the "request" structure has changed, but this
seems minor compared to the above!!

-phil