Re: ofwboot, why does it work?

Artyom Tarasenko wrote:

>> I don't understand. Why should "copy-out" be used on 'buf'? AFAICS
>> ofdev.c passes 'buf' to OF_read() to read a block from disk.
>
> In my case it was crashing even before starting to read, on getting
> the properties.
> The 'buf' is used in in devopen for getting the properties and in OFW

Ah, ok. Now I understand. So the OF_getprop() is already initializing the
whole 'buf'. But only with FirmWorks.

> Whops. I wasn't aware that Pegasos II is using SmartFirmware. Were
> there also an alternative from FirmWorks, or is SmartFirmware the only
> firmware for Pegasos II.

There has never been an alternative firmware.

> At least this explains why you was not affected by the problem.

Yes.

> Now it's only unclear why B50 was not affected as well.

Indeed. I didn't test it.

> Do you by any chance have more OF machines?

Only a Motorola Powerstack II (and lots of Apple hardware).

I cannot remember any problems with ofwboot on the Powerstack. But I can
make some tests again, if you want.

--
Frank Wille