Re: Is OpenPIC mandatory for an ofppc-machine?

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 17:29:52 +0200
Artyom Tarasenko <atar4qemu%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Here is my device tree:
> [...]
> ok dev /pci/isa@b/interrupt-controller@i20
> ok .properties
> built-in
> model                    WINB,83C553
> reg                      00000001 00000020 00000002
>                          00000001 000000a0 00000002
>                          00000001 000004d0 00000002
> compatible               chrp,iic
>                          pci10ad,105-interrupt-controller
>                          pci8086,484-interrupt-controller
>                          pnpPNP,0

This should be detected as an IVR PIC (PICNODE_TYPE_IVR in the source).
I have exactly the same Winbond 83C553 in my Motorola Powerstack II. NetBSD
doesn't work on it correctly, but the PIC initialization does work.

Maybe try to recompile a kernel with PIC_PREPIVR defined in the config file.
I needed that for the Powerstack.

Also boot the kernel with debugging messages enabled (boot -x). It should
show "calling prepivr setup".

When it still doesn't work, I would proceed with inserting printfs in
init_ofppc_interrupt() to find out where it hangs.

> Btw, the boot process seems to be much slower than for NetBSD/prep on
> the same machine: writting output looks like an original 300 bod
> terminal. Is it normal?

Not on real hardware.

> Btw2, we are not emulating OpenFirmware. It is the original
> OpenFirmware from FirmWorks which I slightly adjusted for qemu -M
> prep.

There are also many problems and workarounds with real OpenFirmware. :)

--
Frank Wille