Re: Current hangs at boot

On 18-May-2008 Jochen Kunz wrote:
> I swaped the machine with one that has 2 GB. But it also has a newer
> firmware. It works with 2 GB. I already booted it, there is a dmesg in
> the ofppc NFS-root directory...

Well.. then, I guess it was a firmware issue.  If you go to IBM's site to
download new firmware, they generally list a few things that were fixed in each
revision. I generally just read through them and decide if I want to go up or
not.

I do wish I had an older firmware for the 270 sometimes, just because it would
be nice to have one that still had the graphical SMS, just to see if the NetBSD
icon worked.

>> In theory I could use the dimms and the second memory card, but I
>> dunno if shipping that would be overly costly to you.
> A friend of mine lives in the USA and travels to germany several times
> a year. I may be able to arrange shipping via him. (He used to take
> VAXen and PDP-11s with him on plane. So a RS/6000 memory card shold be
> no problem.) This will also avoid any troble with customs...

Might be worth it then.  If anything, I can just use the dimms, I know they are
the same.

> I'll tinker around with it and keep you informed what I get.

BTW, whats the status of the 150?  Do you think you have the problem in hand, or
do you want to put it up at the colo?

---
Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/