Re: NetBSD for EFIKA?

Hi all, and Hi Frank (cool to see Amiga people here!),

On May 14, 2008, at 3:30 AM, Frank Wille wrote:

Last time I looked it did no longer crash.

:-)

But more than the PCI bus
and your graphics board will not be recognized, because all the
drivers for the 5200B-internal stuff (USB, network, ATA, interrupts)
still have to be written.

I read some old threads in the archives about this (after I posted, doh!), and it seems (from what I understood) that this is not really a technical issue anymore but mostly a resource issue?

That is, most NetBSD ofppc developers have other machine preferences and work on those first, correct? Nothing wrong with that, I just want to make sure that technical hurdles such as missing documentation are not the problem anymore at this point?

Who knows, I might be able to convince some students of mine to work on it, but it would be bad if they had to spend weeks hunting for documentation first. :-)

I saw that Debian seems to work (might even be supported by the EFIKA guys themselves I guess?), but I'd prefer NetBSD for consistency with my other boxes.

Yes, I feel the same, and I would like to tackle it sooner or later,
after the Pegasos2 port is working.

Well, since the EFIKA is the only thing I can get my hands on right now, I guess I'll have to wait a little longer. No problem, I am also looking into a Mac Mini as a possible solution for what I have in mind, but they are more expensive and less geeky. (Currently I have a spare PowerBook provide PPC hardware for my compilers course, but something less bulky would be nicer to have in my bookshelf.)

Cheers,
Peter