Re: Pegasos boots with 512MB! (was: SmartFirmware /memory)

On Mar 25, 2008, at 1:13 PM, Frank Wille wrote:

Tim Rightnour wrote:

On 25.03.08 18:14:11 you wrote:

BTW, what kind of crash?  Do you have a backtrace?

Ok, I had a closer look onto the crash location now. It was the
"instantiate-rtas" call. The reason was, as suspected, the passed address argument from ra_base_pa being 0x10000000! With 256MB it is something like
0x004fxxxx.

ra_base_pa comes from a list returned by uvm_pglistalloc(). I don't know for what this function is needed, but according to its man-page you pass a low- and a high-address, which was 0 and ~0 before. When restricting it to 0 and 0x0fffffff, it works fine! RTAS can be instantiated and the system works
with full 512MB!

Is restricting RTAS to the lowest 256MB ok for all ofppc platforms? Then I
will work out a solution and check it in.

Yes.