Re: Announcing the rebirth of the ofppc port

..I'd rather be coding ASM! wrote:

why? build it on another box, netboot and suck the tarballs down
over ftp.

Right and every user of NetBSD has "another box" to build it on, wants to
spend a couple days compiling and tweaking a default install.

As the company that made the hardware we have an interest in not having
OS installs be a long-winded thing. You can install Windows Vista from
a DVD in 25 minutes. This is the level of support most people expect from
an operating system - and the level of expertise most operating systems
strive to require for an installation.

Frank brought up a couple of good points re the disk and keyboard issue,
I don't think "to install NetBSD you need to have another PPC system or
a working NetBSD cross compiler, network, tftp server, tarballs from
another port.." is very entertaining to users.

--
Matt Sealey <matt%genesi-usa.com@localhost>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations