Subject: Re: Current EFIKA status?
To: Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de>
From: Matt Sealey <matt@genesi-usa.com>
List: port-ofppc
Date: 10/20/2007 05:22:22
Like I said, the device-tree PCI nodes know what they are doing; they
are implicitly bound to the host controller.

RTAS just accepts bus, device, function as a configuration address. It
has no idea which one to look at without some internal hackery. It has
no clue about seperate host controllers.

Our firmware knows the difference, I have no clue about anyone else, but
in the end - Apple are the biggest user of OF besides Sun, and neither
of them implement RTAS *growl*. Use RTAS, fall back to config-[lwb][@!]
if you don't have RTAS, and it will work. Expect funny behaviour if
RTAS is broken somehow. But Linux uses RTAS on the Efika - ostensibly
to work around the AGP/PCI distinction in firmware at some point.

On the Discovery it just uses native PCI bus access.

--
Matt Sealey <matt@genesi-usa.com>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations