Subject: RE: dev/ofw/ofdisk.c
To: Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-ofppc
Date: 10/15/2007 11:00:16
On 15-Oct-2007 Frank Wille wrote:
> BTW, which is the best mailing list to report problems during compilation of
> current source? "current-users"?

Probably this one, however, for the short term, until ppcoea-rennovation is
merged (which should be soon) it would be helpful to know which tree you are
referring to.  I've let the HEAD rot because I'm focusing all of my efforts on
the rennovation branch.

I do realize that the current ppcoea-rennovation code for ofppc is not 100%
ideal.  There are certainly lots of things in there that can and should be done
better, however, I just didn't have the hardware to play around with it.  I'm
not married to most of the ways I set things up in there, but my general
philosophy on ofppc on the rennovation branch is thus:

1) We should be talking directly to hardware to use it.  We shouldn't be
sending bytes through the RTAS or OFW to write to the disks.

2) We should be using the RTAS/OFW/whatever at all times to *find* devices, and
when appropriate, use it to set them up.  I think this is primarily true for
devices that are at the top of a tree.. such as PCI bridges.  I think we should
find the bridge with OFW, and then use standard PCI routines to talk to the
bridge to find it's children.  (those routines however, can certainly involve
RTAS/OFW calls as much as they need, I simply mean we shouldn't just walk the
ofw tree looking for pci children, because we will likely miss nonstandard
cards)

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/