Subject: Re: NOTICE: major changes to ofppc incoming
To: None <port-ofppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-ofppc
Date: 07/02/2007 17:34:45
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 00:29:11 -0700 (MST)
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net> wrote:

> > Oh no. I don't think that a user should be forced to use nvedit just
> > to be able to boot a kernel. Here I agree with Matt. This should be
> > handled in the source!
> >=20
> > I like the idea of Jochen to delay the console attachment, and just
> > use ofcons until the real serial driver is available.
>=20
> I haven't had a chance yet to really stare at these two ideas and see
> if I can find a solution to either of them, but I don't object at all
> to the concept of them.  I think they are both fine ideas.
Maybe port-sparc64 can be an inspiration. It utilizes OFW too and has
similar problems with the console. See consinit.c, pcons.c, com_ebus.c
and sab.c in src/sys/arch/sparc64/dev.

Also: Making the console independent from bus_space(9) eases debugging
of bus_space(9). ;-)

An other problem can arise on machines with multiple PCI-host bridges
like the Pegasos or some of the higher end RS/6000. In that case we have
multiple independent bus_space(9)s. But which of them leads to the
console?

I hope to get some time to have a look at this tonight.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen