Re: NOTICE: major changes to ofppc incoming

Jochen Kunz wrote:

>> No output from anything, or just after the bootloader runs, no output?
>>  What device is this on?
> I tried with an EFIKA a few minutes ago. The last thing I get is:
> Using IP address: 192.168.1.103
> root addr=192.168.1.2 path=/nfsroot/NetBSD/ofppc
> 2715948+223740 [160768+156767]=0x31b754
> start=0x100000

Yes, I'm booting the kernel via tftp as well. This is what I wrote to Tim in
an private email about the problem:

I wrote a small disassembler and monitor, running directly under OFW, so I
can inspect values written to memory. This is the way I am debugging at the
moment.

It shows me that the program always hangs in pmap_bootstrap. Usually during
TAILQ_INIT in arch/powerpc/oea/pmap.c, line 3348:

        for (i = 0; i < pmap_pteg_cnt; i++)
                TAILQ_INIT(&pmap_pvo_table[i]);

Then it manages to initialize only 15000 or 16000 of the 16384
(pmap_pteg_cnt) required lists. Sometimes it went some lines further, but
never returns from pmap_bootstrap.

The values for startkernel and endkernel, passed into initppc(), look ok:
  startkernel = 0x400000, endkernel = 0x625000

Also the mem-regions determined at the beginning of pmap_bootstrap may be
correct:

mem: start=0x00000000, size=0x08000000
avail: start=0x019111e4, size=0x066eee1c

> I put some printf(9) in intppc() and ofwoea_initppc() but don't get
> anything from them.

As my further investigations have shown, this is not surprising:

In ofw_consinit.c, function cninit(), the device_type is "serial", but the
name-property of the console_node is "failsafe" in my case. So nothing in
the function applies and no console is attached.

I tried to reactivate the fallback to ofcons, but didn't get it working,
because I could no longer attach ofbus anywhere at root or mainbus. :|

Do I have to get the serial driver for Pegasos and Efika working first, or
is there a chance for a fallback ofcons?

--
    _  Frank Wille (frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost)
 _ //  http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/