Re: Pegasos port status

DataZap wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone is still working on porting to Pegasos. I have
> seen alot of posts about it, and it looks like some people have been able
> to get to the login, but I can't find any thing after that.

Between 2004 and 2005 I worked together with Jorge Acereda and Palle
Lyckegaard on making NetBSD/ofppc work with the Pegasos OpenFirmware.

But we were stopped by too many bugs in OF. Then we lacked time and lost
interest.

IIRC there was even an install disk image done.

> Is any one still actively working on this?

I haven't heard of anyone.

> I am not a programmer, but I would really like to see what has been done.

Booting in single user mode without the possibility to install wouldn't
fascinate you too much. But if you really like to, drop me a private email
and I will see if I can find an old kernel somewhere.

> Could people who have worked on this project please send me whatever code
> you have? I would like to try to work on this myself.

I thought you are not a programmer? But it is no problem to get access to
our CVS repository, of course.

> Also, I have talking to Bill from genesi-usa and he said that he would
> still like to see things move forward.

Sure, as long as he gets it for free... :)

Would be a start when he makes bplan to release new OpenFirmware versions
for the public (Linux developers got them).

> It would really be good if we could get NetBSD to work on this system.

No doubt.

> Why should people running linux have all the fun?

Agreed! I'm using my Pegasos2 with MorphOS every day (typing this email
on it), but for NetBSD I would even buy a second one!

Or imagine NetBSD on Genesi's nice EFIKA board (MPC5200B based) - low power,
without any fan! :)

--
    _  Frank Wille (frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost)
 _ //  http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/