Best way to build PowerPC boot ROMs during system development

I'm looking into building a system based on Motorola's MPC603e.  I'm
trying to figure out how I'll compile the boot ROMs before the system is
able to run the compiler itself.  My two choices are cross-compile on a
SPARC system or on a Pentium system.  The Pentium (K5-100) is faster but
the SPARC (SS1, SS1+) has the same endian-ness.  Any comments on the
best way to approach this?  Even better, does anyone know how to
configure GCC to cross-compile PowerPC code?  I've read the GCC docs and
have a few guesses at the correct configure parameters but it's always
nice to know the answer before running a long compile job, especially on
the SPARC.

I'm not on these lists (yet) so please reply to me at
steven_grunza%ieee.org@localhost

Thanks.

Steven Grunza, Hardware Engineer

Ulticom Network Systems
1020 Briggs Road
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054

mailto:steven_grunza%ieee.org@localhost
voice:  (856) 787 - 2759
fax:    (856) 866 - 2033
cubicle:        K6
flames: /dev/null

Unix is user friendly, it's just particular about with
whom it makes friends.