Subject: Re: Compiling
To: None <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel =?iso-8859-1?Q?D=EDaz?= <al590349@mail.mty.itesm.mx>
List: port-next68k
Date: 10/16/2002 00:33:04
Hello.

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 10:52:56PM -0500, Daniel Díaz wrote:
> > I was wondering... Is there any way to compile on my PC? It takes ages to
> > compile anything!
>
> To compile what, exactly?

Say, mysql-client (which implies perl), for some mysql apps I'd like to compile,
or just for the mysql client itself.

> The NetBSD tree itself is entirely cross-compilable. It'd help to be
> running NetBSD on your i386 box, but it's by no means a necessity.
> (You'll definitely need to have a real compilation environment,
> though. Which means "install {Net,Free,Open}BSD/Linux/BeOS/whatever
> or pay a lot of money".)
>
> Have a look at src/BUILDING for details on that.

I couldn't find that file on my tree. I will keep looking for it.

> If you want to cross-compile packages, you're probably out of luck;
> most of pkgsrc is not (nor can it ever be made to be) cross-
> compilable. (These are problems with the vendor's original source,
> not with the pkgsrc system as such.)

Well, since my netbsd is netbooted from a Linux server, I was kinda hoping I
could use my gcc to produce the binaries faster. (I was thinking of using samba
for mounting my slab in the Linux PC, and then chroot to that directory, and
then use gcc with the appropriate settings.)

Could you or someone else confirm this is/is not possible?

Thanks, and greetings!

Daniel Díaz
yosoy@danieldiaz.org