Subject: Re: Installing X on netboot client
To: None <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-next68k
Date: 06/02/2002 13:10:10
> Can anybody help me to find any information how to install and
> configure X on diskless NetBSD/next68k.

> I've downloaded and installed all x*.tgz sets from
> NetBSD/next68k-1.5.2. but it doesn't seem to include the X server.

A while back, I ported X11R6.4 patchlevel 3 to NetBSD/next68k 1.4T.  It
would appear nobody's picked up the changes and ported them to xsrc X.
My port may run under 1.5.2, I don't know; you're certainly welcome to
try it.  I'd be interested to hear what results you have.  There is a
small kernel portion, and I'd expect rolling that forward would be the
most difficult part.

ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/misc/mouse/MouseX-II/ contains it all.  At
this writing, the latest stuff there is 0.1.1-prealpha; I seem to
recall that I wanted to upload another version, so a new version may be
there by the time you check, especially if you wait a day or two.

> It's interesting to see what the performance will be like with 32 MB
> RAM on mono slab.  Have anybody tried to run it?  Is it usefull at
> all?

Performance is, in my opinion, usable.  It's not amazing, and in
particular it's not as good as NeXTStep, principally because it has no
idea how to use the blitter hardware that I understand is in there.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign