Subject: Re: Netbooting problem (NetBSD 1.5.2 without SCSI)
To: Alex Popov <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Limpach <chris@Pin.LU>
List: port-next68k
Date: 05/30/2002 22:05:31
Hi!

> I used the kernel from kern.tgz set from standard NetBSD/next68k
> distribution. (I haven't got to the new kernel with SCSI support yet).

the GENERIC kernel doesn't handle scsi at all and you get the problem you
describe when you let the system try booting off scsi first before
interrupting it to make it boot from the network.  You should either get a
kernel with scsi support or interrupt the boot before it tries to boot from
scsi or (best) setup the defaul boot command to be something like "b en
netbsd" (with p in the ROM monitor).  I think that once the machine has
tried to boot off scsi, scsi is half initialized and will generate
interrupts and the GENERIC kernel doesn't handle those too gracefully.

     christian