Subject: Re: how fast^H^H^H^Hslow?
To: Christophe Kalt <kalt@taranis.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-next68k
Date: 05/21/2002 02:22:25
Hi,

> there's a NeXT sitting in a box in a dark corner near me, and
> i'm now wondering whether i should invest time to get NetBSD
> running on it.  Not clear what model it is, it says "NeXTstation
> Turbo" (turbo? woo hoo, sounds fancy;), Model No N1100.

I have three, compliments of Darren; one of these days I'll set up a nice
NFS for all of them.

But last I checked, the Turbos don't run NetBSD. Or do they? Please tell
me they do now!

> so, how slow are these beasts?
> how long does it take to build the world?

Well, to give you a rough idea, a 40 MHz 68040 Macintosh (with pseudo-DMA
SCSI) takes somewhere between 32 and 40 hours depending on whether the
compiler is already 68040 optimised or not.

Not too bad. Quadras are quite usable with NetBSD. I'm sure, however, that
NeXT computers would be much faster than comparable Quadras due to the
good ethernet and the real DMA SCSI. I know that my Amiga with real DMA
SCSI is significantly faster in the hard disk department...

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs