Subject: Re: how fast^H^H^H^Hslow?
To: Christophe Kalt <kalt@taranis.org>
From: Goran Koruga <goran.koruga@hermes.si>
List: port-next68k
Date: 05/21/2002 07:54:16
On Mon, 20 May 2002 12:19:19 -0400, Christophe Kalt wrote:

Hi.

> there's a NeXT sitting in a box in a dark corner near me, and
> i'm now wondering whether i should invest time to get NetBSD
> running on it.  Not clear what model it is, it says "NeXTstation
> Turbo" (turbo? woo hoo, sounds fancy;), Model No N1100.
>
> so, how slow are these beasts?

It's quite usable. I tried both NetBSD and NextStep/OpenStep on it and
the latter is OK even for graphical stuff such as mail app and so on.

> how long does it take to build the world?

I don't remember exact number, but it sure took me some 3-4 hours to
build my own kernel. That was using NFS root, NFS server was running on
Sun Ultra 10 running Solaris 2.6. Swap was also on that same server.

Goran

--

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
    -- Frank Zappa