Subject: Re: new INSTALL notes
To: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-next68k
Date: 05/02/2002 10:12:46
At 1:59 AM -0500 5/2/02, Peter Eisch wrote:

:)Aye.  It turns out I had one laying in my tftpboot dir from an earlier
:)life that got me up and going.  Both report themselves as rev 1.2 but
:)they're about 5k different in size (now smaller).

Bleah.  Hopefully there's no change in functionality.

:)I did stop and think about what
:)loader to stick in there as I had a boot laying in my tftpboot but it was
:)for NEXTSTEP and didn't really help me much.

Yeah, I wish they'd chose better names for bootloaders.  And every platform
uses different names for installation tools that do the same thing.

:)Perhaps in the Installing the NetBSD System's Introduction where you
:)explain the process, use the word "boot" when describing the bootstrapping
:)and have a link down to where to extract it from?

Fair 'nuff.  Will do.

:)In the "Post installation steps" most notably number 4 where the packages
:)are shown as an example, the shell at that point would presumably be csh
:)rather than sh so the env setup might confuse lo-tech folks.

Good point.

:)Nice doc though!  Much better than when I first tried muttling through it
:)some time back.

Thanks.

:)Is the scsi support pretty much parked?

At least with the 1.5.3_RC1 kernel available on ftp.netbsd.org it doesn't
recognize my SCSI.  I haven't tried compiling a -current kernel for my cube
yet.

  -- MW