Subject: Re: keyboard pinout?
To: None <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-next68k
Date: 10/17/2001 05:10:31
>> Is it feasiable to build a passive adapter that connects keyboard to
>> slab without needing a monitor in between?

> Huh.

> This depends on a few things.

> ADB or non-ADB keyboard and mouse?

Duh, yes, sorry.  Original (non-ADB).  2bpp grayscale.

> Sound box, or does the keyboard (etcetera) run through the monitor
> (meaning it's a B&W monitor)?

The latter.  (I didn't know there was any other way; I don't recall
ever seeing a version that didn't go through the monitor.)

> I would guess the easiest solution to your problem would be to get a
> sound box, since it sounds like you don't have one

No, I don't, unless you count the one you say is built in to the
monitor. :-)

But "easiest"?  I'd far rather spend an hour with soldering than
fighting the Web to try to find a vendor, paying good money I only
sort-of have, and waiting a small age (compared to time-to-working for
the DIY solution) for delivery.

Unless there's no choice, unless there's enough intelligence there that
more than at most level shifters are needed...which was why I asked.

On a related note, would it work to just disconnect the connector that
drives the video electronics off the digital electronics board in the
monitor?  (Not that I'd do this as a solution, because I want to be
able to use the monitor when I choose without having to open the silly
thing up.  This question is mostly curiosity.)

> This, while it may cost a few (US ;^>) bucks is going to be far less
> solderin' pain than what you suggest building.

Yes, less soldering pain, but soldering pain is generally negative for
me; I rather enjoy fussing with hardware and building things like the
adapter contemplated here.  (For example, I've built a half-dozen
adapters to use Sun type-3 keyboards on machines with miniDIN-8
connectors.)

On the other hand...what _is_ the sound box?  I may want it on its own.

> Go check out http://www.blackholeinc.com/specials/blackhardware.shtml

I would, except they're behind Media3 Technologies, who sued MAPS and
thus won a permanent place in my border router block list.  (Yup, their
choice of provider lost them a (potential) customer.  A price of
getting their connectivity from a spammer supporter.)  I suppose I'll
dig around and see if I can find anyone else who sells the things - any
other recommendations, anyone?

> If you need a US shipping relayer, I'm glad to help.

Thank you.  I'll keep that in mind in case I run into someone who
doesn't like shipping to Canada.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign