Subject: Re: FREE: NeXT laser printers
To: None <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: M <martin@ifb.co.uk>
List: port-next68k
Date: 06/17/2001 16:06:23
Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 02:22:36PM -0500, Dave Huang wrote:
>
>  > What's the "worn gear" problem? I have a NeXT laser printer that seems
>  > to have paper feed problems... if I print a page, it sucks the paper in
>  > a few inches, then reports paper jam. If I just open and close the
>  > printer, it will feed in a few more inches before reporting another jam.
>  > If I do this enough times, it eventually gets the whole page through
>  > (sometimes :).
>
> That is the "worn gear" problem.  In their infinite wisdom, the
> engineers that made that printer's mechanism used a plastic gear,
> rather than a brass/whatever one.
>
>  > Is that the worn gear problem? And if so, I take it there's not a simple
>  > fix for it?
>
> Simple if you can get the gear.  Last I heard, there was one company
> in Milpitas, CA (or Fremont, CA) that made the gear, and it's pricy.

I bought a new plastic one (slightly wider than the original) from Randy
at http://www.channelu.com
There were complete instructions for fitting on the next web pages there
as well. http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/Repair/index.html
Its a bit of a time consuming fix but straight forward enough if you
have the patience.
I think it was about $5 for the gear.
Its been working for over a year since fitting though I don't print that
much.

Regards,