Subject: Re: How about X
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-next68k
Date: 04/10/2001 03:58:59
> Is this really true?  Given how much I've done with X and NetBSD on
> NeXTs, I feel sure I could build a ddx layer for R6.4 without much
> trouble.

port-next68k has suffered from paucity of developer free time for quite
some time -- so yes, it's true.

> However, it would be a port of X11R6.4pl3 to NetBSD/next68k 1.4T.  Not
> XFree86 (which NetBSD seems to like to run even on hardware where it
> makes absolutely no sense to use anything x86-based), and not -current
> or even 1.5.

XFree's "getting better" I think...

I think the reason for it is that (a) we already have it in the tree anyway
and (b) given how many systems can use PeeCee video cards nowadays, it does
make a lot of sense for us to "nudge" XFree4 in the multi-platform direction.

> If that's still of interest, drop me a line and I'll see what I can
> knock together.

I'd be willing to test it once I have my slab running again. Right now
I guarantee when that will be, but probably in a month give or take a
few weeks.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com