Subject: Running NeXT Headless
To: None <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: Antonio Varela Lizardi <antonio@icon.net.mx>
List: port-next68k
Date: 11/14/1999 13:15:41
Hi guys,

  I have a couple of questions regarding the following FAQ answer:

"...
The procedure is to just touch pins 6 and GND on the DB-19 NeXT monitor out
with a 470 Ohm resistor (450 is the actual resistance, but 470 ohms is more
commonly found in resistors). Pin 6 is the power sense, and pins 13-19 (and
the DB shell) are the GND. Just say "pin 19", it may be easier.
..."

   I want to know if I'm understanding correctly. "just touch" means that
the resistor does not need to be keept in place between pins 6 & 19?

"...
If you have an old Cube, the power supply needs to have more power drawn
from it than an 030 (and 040?) board uses to stay on. So: On the DB-19,
attach a Power Resistor (20 Ohm, at least 20 Watt) between pins 12 and GND.
(Pin 12 is -12V, pin 13 works well for GND). Then just "touch" the 470 ohm
resistor as described above, and you're set. The 20 Ohm resistor draws
enough to keep the power supply happy - just don't touch it (*HOT!* ;-)
..."

  I have a 030 cube, and I think that it's old. There are cubes older than
that, or do I have to follow this procedure?

Thank you in advance
Greetings
Antonio