Subject: Re: cube color monitor without mono monitor (was: REEELLY old message ...)
To: None <port-next68k@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Sturrock <rns@its.unimelb.edu.au>
List: port-next68k
Date: 09/03/1999 09:01:02
On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 10:26:31AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> > This is partially correct information.  Early cubes had a switching
> > power supply that required the monitor load to operate correctly.
> > [...]  There are directions floating around out on the web on how to
> > rig a resistor on the MegaPixel port to fool the power supply and
> > thus boot headless, but I don't know where to find them off hand.
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/next68k/faq.html#no-monitor

This information describes mono systems.  Anyone know how to make a
Colour Turbo (with the 13W3 adapter + soundbox) boot headless?

On a related subject, anyone know how to attach a serial console
successfully to a Colour Turbo?  When I attached one and set the `use
alternate console' option in the PROM, nothing happened, even when the
monitor was detached (but not the soundbox/keyboard I must admit, since
you need to keyboard to actually power the machine on!).

Cheers,

/r.