Subject: Re: off topic: Passwords
To: Ronald C.F. Antony <rcfa@cubiculum.com>
From: Paul I. Castle <picastle@meer.net>
List: port-next68k
Date: 12/14/1998 00:54:05
>> A few weeks ago a friend gave a NeXT-Station to me. It has NeXTStep on it
>> and runs quite well, but we have no password to get into Workspace. Are
>> there any tricks to get into it without having the root(or
>> admin???)-Password?

ME TOO! I've been wrestling with this problem for a couple of weeks now!

>The solution given before may not work, since that will change AFAIK
>the /etc/passwd file, which is normally not consulted when running in
>multiuser mode. Normally the netinfo local domain will be used, and *snip*

That's exactly what I thought, having tried to hack the problem from
the BSD side....but I just tried it AND IT WORKED!!!

weird.

>Check out the NeXTanswers section at Apple's site, they have a Q&A on it.
>	http://www.apple.com/enterprise/

A good suggestion, it's a very helpful site. However considering the sheer
volume of information contained therein it can be it bit of fishing
expedition. Choose your search parameters wisely, Grasshopper.

Paul Castle

picastle@meer.net
http://www.daddybird.com/

Spel difurnt.