Subject: Re: segment list construction fixes
To: Darrin B. Jewell <jewell@MIT.EDU>
From: Rolf Grossmann <grossman@securitas.net>
List: port-next68k
Date: 07/08/1998 22:57:50
Hi,

on 08 Jul 1998 07:06:34 -0400 Darrin B. Jewell wrote
concerning "Re: segment list construction fixes" something like this:

> You should be able to put the boot blocks onto a floppy or a
> scsi disk.  (Although you don't want to overwrite the NeXTstep
> bootblocks if you still want to boot NeXTstep)  The nextstep
> installboot worked last time I tried it.  "dd" should be able
> to do it as well, but I'm not sure which sector of the floppy
> it needs to go in.  There's a installboot script in the
> bootblocks src directory that suggests something like:
>    dd if=boot of=/dev/??? obs=1024 seek=32 conv=osync
> If that doesn't work, try leaving out the "seek" and
> see if the floppy needs to start from the beginning of the disk.

Just for your information: The installboot script is what I used to put
the bootblock on a floppy disk, because it's faster. The floppy must however
already have a valid label, so you'd be better off to use NeXT's disk
program to install them. It certainly is no good idea to leave out the
"seek", because then you'll overwrite the label.

As long as you'll have to use a network setup do anything useful with the
next port, I'd suggest that you load the bootblocks over the network
as well, but as soon as we start having scsi disk support in the kernel,
we should get disksetup to work and provide readymade boot floppies.

Bye, Rolf

PS: I'd really like to look into getting things to work (like SCSI support,
which should be real simple: just use the sparc/alpha driver), but I
don't have the time :(