Subject: segment list construction fixes
To: None <port-next68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Darrin Jewell <dbj@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-next68k
Date: 07/04/1998 03:26:52
I did some work this evening towards getting the color
and turbo machines to work.  I added some printing to
the rom console while it constructs the physical memory
segment list.  I also fixed the code that constructs
the segment list to work on a color machine that I have
access to.

I uploaded a new kernel binary to
  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/next68k/19980704/
It should print a few diagnostic messages on the rom console
before it turns on the MMU and tries to use the serial port.

Unfortunately, the color machine I have still doesn't come
up with anything out the serial port.  I'm not sure what
the difference is, but i'm looking into it.  If someone
else wants to tackle this, let me know.  I'd like to move
on to the scsi driver, but I know there are people out
there with color and turbo machines that would like to try
it out.

Btw, there are a couple of "gotchas" if you are trying to
cross compile.  If someone is trying to cross compile a
kernel, prod the list when you get stuck.  I probably know
what the problem is.  I'll try to post a few notes on this
if I set up a cross development again and review the catches.
Currently, I'm building on the NeXT itself.

Darrin