Subject: Re: status of the port
To: None <port-next68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christopher Reid Palmer <reid@newton.pconline.com>
List: port-next68k
Date: 06/12/1998 12:37:24
On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Timothy J Luoma wrote:

> > Currently, I only have access to 25Mhz 68040 NeXTs.
>
> Which is what I have too.

I've got a Turbo Color; if you the developers get to the point where you
need to test something out on such a machine, let me know.

> I must say I was quite happy to hear this news, and subscribed to a bunch of
> NetBSD lists as a result.

Yeah me too. :)

> Thanks for the work to get this happening.... the hardware is so excellent
> but the OS is rather slow nowadays.... Personally, my slab can only take 32MB
> of RAM so the opportunity to run a different Unix on it than NeXTStep is a
> big plus.

Well, I'm not sure RAM is the only issue for NEXTSTEP's (lack of) speed --
I have 40MB in mine but it's still quite slow (although it swap much less
of course). My feeling is that it's the microkernel architecture. :(

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : www.pconline.com/~reid

You will die cruelly and slowly by my hand if...
You say, "I like all kinds of music -- except country and rap."