Port-newsmips archive

Re: Status of port-newsmips?

At 21:39 +0900 9/15/02, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
In article <a05100300b9a8f32bcfc1@[10.0.0.10]>
raub%kudria.com@localhost wrote:

 >Would you please try this image?
 >http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~tsutsui/netbsd/boot-newsmips-1.6H.fs
 >The kernel in this image will call fb initialization only on NWS-3470D.
 >If this does not work, more work is needed..
 :
 NEWS> bo fh
 NetBSD/newsmips Primary Boot
 NetBSD/newsmips Secondary Boot, Revision 1.7
 (tsutsui@mirage, Sat Sep 14 18:20:02 JST 2002)
 Booting fh(0,0,0)
 3788720+128968=0x3bc914

 Once again,t hat is as far as the machine went. =(

Ugh.. then how about the next one?
http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~tsutsui/netbsd/boot-newsmips-1.6H2.fs
All fb and kbd devices are disabled in this kernel.

If it doesn't work either, please try this old image:
http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~tsutsui/netbsd/boot-newsmips-14L-nofb.fs.gz
There was a report it booted on NWS-3720 about three years ago.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost

        Hello there.

I have not tried them yet since I am now having problems booting the machine to get to the NEWS> prompt. I did try the routine to boot with dead NVRAM (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/news68k/faq.html#dead_nvram) but no dice. So, I decided to open the beast, taking pictures as I go just in case I want to write down a how-to.

What I found inside was 12 1MB SIMMs (and that the machine has some 36 slots; I wonder if I can put one 4MB SIMM on each slot. I did find what seemed to be a jumper to go from 1M and 4M =)... and dust, lots of it. Just to make me feel good, I will probably clean the machine before trying again. At least I now have lots of pictures, including of the NVRAM. =)