Port-newsmips archive

Re: Status of port-newsmips?

 > TESTING MAIN MEMORY ......... FROM 0xa0000000 THROUGH 0xa0bf7fff
 --------> This means that it has 12MB of RAM, right?

Yes. The last some kbytes are used by the PROM monitor.
Maybe it has twelve 1MB SIMMs, and you can put 4MB SIMMs instead
up to 64Mbytes. My NWS-3470D has 64M RAM.

        Cool.  Time for some SIMM hunting then =)

 > PHASE 2: FDC AND FDD CHECK
 --------> All that means it does not have a floppy in the drive, right?

Hmm, by default, internal floppy drive should be 3.5" bay
at right side. If it is not there, it might be removed, unfortunately.

Actually, the drive is there. I was just wondering if the message indicated whether the drive was empty (no floppy in the drive).

 > NEWS> revarp
 Server not respond.
 --------> This means the machine is set up to get its IP address from
 a server, right?

Maybe. But IIRC NEWS machines use the "rd (remote disk)" protocol
to load kernel, and it is not supported by NetBSD.

Ok. I was curious about whether the machine was set up to boot diskless or something like that.

 > NEWS> di
 Tahoe disk label
 a:        0    34200
 b:    34200   200000
 c:        0   586764
 d:   234201   320000
 e:   554202    32562
 f:   327582   259182
 g:   327582   129591
 h:   457173   129591

 -------->  This is the hard drive, right?  Can I assume the
 partitions labels are similar to other BSD unixes (c is the entire
 disk, b is swap, and so on)?  Also, what is the unit used in each
 column?  Bytes?

NEWS-OS 4.x is completely derived from 4.3BSD, so it should be
disklabel of the internal SCSI drive. The unit would be sector,
which should be 512bytes.

        Thanks

 > NEWS> vers
 SONY NET WORK STATION R3000 Monitor Release 2.0A
 Model NWS-3710, Machine ID #30145, Ethernet address 08:00:46:00:79:e7

 NEWS>

It seems karas is slowly on its way to come back to the world of the living. =)

If your machine actually does not have floppy drive, you can
write boot.fs image into a SCSI drive and can boot NetBSD from it.

Well, it does have a floppy drive. So, I created a boot floppy in my Sparc20 (after downloading the boot.fs you mentioned in a previous message). This is how far it went:

NEWS> bo fh
NetBSD/newsmips Primary Boot
NetBSD/newsmips Secondary Boot, Revision 1.7
(autobuild%tgm.daemon.org@localhost, Sat Sep  7 19:57:02 UTC 2002)
Booting fh(0,0,0)
3788624+127656=0x3bc394

and it just hang up on there.  Does anyone have any suggestions?