Port-newsmips archive

Re: Status of port-newsmips?

At 22:09 +0900 9/9/02, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
In article <a05100302b9a10ed4e41f@[10.0.0.10]>
raub%kudria.com@localhost wrote:

        o How to figure out the machine configuration (think "cnfg"
 in a dec and scsi-info in sub) without opening the case and counting
 memory chips and HD?

Amount of Memory should be counted by PROM monitor on boot,
but I don't think NEWS PROM has scsi-info like commands.
"help" command on the monitor might help.

Thanks for the info. As soon as I am able to get a prompt I shall try that. =)

        o From what I saw in the case (from outside), it has an empty
 5 1/4 bay.  Could I slap in it a CDROM drive?  If so, what are its
 requirements (ex: SCSI with 512byte sectors)?

Original 3720 had a QIC tape drive in it,
but you could put any SCSI devices instead.
You could use both 512byte and 2048byte CD-ROM drives.
(It's not hardware requirements, but OS related.)

        Can the machine boot out of a CDROM?

 >   o All three machines have a video board on them.  Do I have
 to remove it to use the console?  Also, is it a prefered serial port
 for console?

You don't have to remove framebuffers.
Just set DIPswitches to use serial console.
See news68k FAQ:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/news68k/faq.html#serial_console
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/news68k/faq.html#dip_sw
The FAQ is written for news68k, but some items
could be applicable on newsmips, too.

I've tried configuring its jumpers (Ex: setting jumpers 1 to 3 to off, which should mean use serial port according tot he FAQ), then connected a serial cable between my computer and the NEWS box and nothing happened. I also tried adding a null modem and still had the same result. =(

 >   o What kind of memory does this machine use and what is its capacity?

For NWS-34xx and NWS-37xx machines, 30pin 4Mbyte SIMM with parity
can be used.
---

Cool! I will be looking forwards to have the machine alive. When I do, I shall call it karas after Dr. Gori's (if you have never seen Spectreman, you may not know who they are) henchman.