Port-newsmips archive

Re: Status of port-newsmips?

In article <a05100305b9a08e592d0c@[10.0.0.10]>
raub%kudria.com@localhost wrote:

        This saturday I was given*three* NWS-3710 machines.  I would
 love to have at least one running netbsd.  How far is it running?

NWS-3710 could run NetBSD.
Since the machine have not been tested it might have some problems,
but the fixes should be trivial.
(Anyway you have to use serial console, though.)

 Also, how to install the OS in the machine?  I went to
 http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/newsmips/ and did not find much info.

You can try the NetBSD 1.6_RC3 snapshot.
See the install note:
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/200209060000/newsmips/INSTALL.html
and try boot floppy:
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/200209060000/newsmips/installation/floppy/

(Yes, more things should be documented in the install notes.
 Any feedback is welcome :-)
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost

        Hello there!

I just looked at the install info. It sounds fairly complete. Things I would like to be added are stuff someone like me, who has never used a NEWS machine before (think Homer Simpson), would appreciate:

o How to figure out the machine configuration (think "cnfg" in a dec and scsi-info in sub) without opening the case and counting memory chips and HD? o From what I saw in the case (from outside), it has an empty 5 1/4 bay. Could I slap in it a CDROM drive? If so, what are its requirements (ex: SCSI with 512byte sectors)? o All three machines have a video board on them. Do I have to remove it to use the console? Also, is it a prefered serial port for console?
        o What kind of memory does this machine use and what is its capacity?

Thanks for any help! I may try to install the OS later on today. If I do it, I will keep you posted on my findings and problems. =)