Subject: Re: kernel for MVME167
To: Henning Kiel <kiel@physik.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 08/19/2003 11:45:17
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Henning Kiel wrote:

> What do I have to do once 'make' is finished?

make install

This will rename /netbsd to /onetbsd before copying the new kernel to
/netbsd. You can do the same thing manually if you prefer. There is no
magic involved in installing a NetBSD kernel.

> how do I "test" the kernel (ie. boot it without changing the default
> kernel) and then (if it works) install as the default kernel?

To boot the new kernel, just reboot and "bo" at the Bug prompt. If you
need to boot the old kernel:

	167-Bug>bo ,,onetbsd

> (On Linux I have to run "lilo" or change grub.conf to use the new kernel,

NetBSD does not suffer from the lilo brain damage.

Cheers, Steve