Subject: Re: Trouble netbooting MVME167B
To: Henning Kiel <kiel@physik.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 08/06/2003 14:19:32
Hi !

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Henning Kiel wrote:
> Now I wanted to install netbsd on the 167, but I cannot read from disk.
> It is recognized correctly with iot;t, but when I try to read from it with
> iop, I get error 000E.
> The pdf-handbook from the net is silent about this error code.

These error codes are in general a bit useless. I also would be interested if
someone has a list of them.

But as war hints... is your backplane jumpered correctly? is ENV configured
correctly (in case of doubt, set defaults and check everything), is the SCSI
bus terminated correctly? (Had cute effects due to lack of a terminator
yesterday).

Do you use onboard SCSI or some 328 or so?

> Any ideas?
> It would also be nice if there would exist a program which compiles on eg.
> Linux which can partition disks for NetBSD. Also if this program could
> copy the swap-initrd and make the disk bootable ;-)

Feel free to port the disklabel stuff, should be not too hard :)

> I also have problems with the network in 167bug. I set my IP, a gateway,
> netmask etc., but I cannot do/receive pings. BTW, why do I need to fill in
> not only the receipient, but also the sender. it should be my IP?

Yep. If you use ping of the firmware, you have to set both addresses. The IP
stack has to know, who it is. Network brings up evil error messages (at least
on 162), if network ist not correctly terminaded/linked. Some error 0008 i
think.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX