Subject: Re: 141-2 Bus troubles
To: None <port-mvme68k@netbsd.org, ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
From: John D. Baker <jdbaker@blkbox.com>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 11/15/2001 10:17:27
Berndt Walter wrote:

> [ MVME141 system-mode menu and errors deleted for brevity ]

> The board has no onboard RAM beside of cache.
> From what I understand addressing to VME RAM failed because of a
> timeout, but bus abritation succeded?
> And the RAM needs to start at address 0x0.
> I have a MVME 224A-4 RAM board installed.
>
> I am not shure about the configuration and backplane requirements.
> I have no documentaion about these boards.

I think the MVME141 requires VSB/VMX bus for its main memory.  VME
access is only for peripheral I/O.

The MVME141 board uses the MVME2400 "VSBchip" ASIC for VSB (VME
Subsidiary Bus) interfacing.  It uses the MVME6000 VMEchip for VME
access just like the MVME147.

You need a VME P2ac jumper cable made up of two female IDC DIN
connectors and a short length of 64-conductor ribbon cable.  The
cable should be as short as possible--the spacing of the connectors
should be no more than the slot spacing plus a little slack for
insertion/removal.

Put the MVME141 in slot 1 of your chassis and the MVME224 in the next
slot and plug the jumper cable between their P2 connectors on the
rear of the P2 backplane.

This is not a true VSB implementation, but a common 'hack' known as
VMXbus which is sufficient in systems of VSB devices where there is
only a single VSB master (such as a single CPU card and one or more
memory cards).  True VSB is a PCB backplane overlay which has a number
of jumpers for the daisy-chained arbitration signals, etc.

I will have a look at my MVME224 board later this evening and see if
my switch settings will be useful for you (I have no docs for mine
either).

Hope this helps.

--
John D. Baker                                       I hear, and I forget.
jdbaker@NoSpAm!blkbox.com                          I see, and I remember.