Subject: Re: Problems with MVME177 install
To: Ken Seefried <ken@seefried.com>
From: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.co.uk>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 10/19/2001 18:34:49
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Ken Seefried wrote:

> Steve Woodford writes:
>
> > It's a bug in the bootloader. Booting from tape is not well tested these
> > days, mainly because my aging Archive Viper 150 is on its last legs...
>
> I'd be more than happy to help you with this, if you can take a bit of time
> to educate me as to how the bits fit together.  I actually have a Viper 150
> as well as the Tandberg.

I guess all that's required is periodically testing new snapshots.

> Better, but now we have a new issue.  With that stboot, and the 20010807
> snapshot bootst & netbsd-rd, I get:
[snip]
> NetBSD/mvme68k MVME177 tapeboot [1.3]
>
> 978429=0xeef9c
> Start @ 0x8000 [1=0xf6e00-0xf6f9c]...
> Exception: Illegal Instruction
> PC =00008004 SR =2700

Have you removed the jumper from pins 1-2 of J1? You can check using the
following commands under 177-Bug...

177-Bug>md fff40088;l
FFF40088  67800609  .....
177-Bug>

The key value is bit0 in the above value (67800609). If set, the jumper
has been removed. If clear, you still need to remove the jumper.

If this doesn't fix the problem, I'll need a day or two to look into it
further.

Cheers, Steve