Subject: Re: MVME147 w/ VxWorks Rom
To: Maki <mk2s@digitalcommute.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 04/06/2001 11:15:56
On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 05:47:15PM -0400, Maki wrote:

> I have come into a working MVME147 and Transition module 712M, and have been trying to boot/install NetBSD.  My 147 has a VxWorks rom on it instead of 147Bug.  It is capable of tftp booting, but seems to not understand the executable format of netboot.  Does anyone have experience with such a configuration?  Is 147Bug something I can download somewhere?(I do have an eprom burner)

I did this once, years ago.  ISTR that:

* The VxWorks ROM really wants an a.out kernel.

* There is a significant size limit (somewhere around 1MB) on the kernel
  image.  If it's larger than that, the ROM will barf and die.

* Some more recent changes call out to Bug facilities, and this code
  must be removed to boot from the VxWorks ROM.

I don't have a MVME147 board any more, so I can't reproduce this.