Subject: Freezing during boot.
To: None <port-mvme68k@netbsd.org>
From: Maxime Kurkdjian <maxunder@choisy.myip.org>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 03/12/2000 15:00:34
hi,
i just install NetBSD 1.4.1 on a mvme167 33mhz with 16MB of ECC-RAM.
i alreday done that on a mvme147 w/ 4MB (with a little bug at the
begining)
i follow the instructions and when i want to boot from the miniroot
installed on the swap partition of the disk i've got:

167-Bug>bo 0,,b:
Booting from: VME167, Controller 0, Drive 0

Volume: NBSD

WARNING: Configuration Parameters from CFGA Block Ignored

IPL loaded at: $003F0000
Boot: bug device: ctrl=0, dev=0

bootxx: first level bootstrap program [$Revision: 1.1 $]

>> BSD MVME167 bootsd [$Revision: 1.1 $]
823344|

frezzing here and the scsi front led just stay lighting (green).
i think that it could be a scsi problem, because the board just boot
very well throught the network for the first stage of the installation
(nfs).
i tried with different disks and cables the problem remain.
i also unplugged all the other vme device from the chassis, but no
success.

i noticed three other problem:
- my vme board lose time (had to do a 'set' ) and scsi configuration
(iot;t) at almost every reboot. i'm affraid that the battery of the
nvram is almost dead. is it dangerous for NetBSD stability ?
during the first stage of the installation if i do no perform a 'iot;t'
before the netboot the kernel doesn't install my scsi chip and devices.
- after the 'halt' at the end of th miniroot installation i had this
message:

ssh: halt
 signal 15
ssh: syncing disks... done
unmounting / (root_device)...
uvm_vnp_terminate(0x8833a8): terminating active vnode (refs=4)
halted

167-Bug>

is it normal ?

- do you notice this message just befor ethe boot from the swap disk:

WARNING: Configuration Parameters from CFGA Block Ignored

what does this stand for ?

- also if i follow the instruction of the installation manual to boot
from the swap disks i had the following error:

167-Bug>iot;t
I/O Inquiry Status:
CLUN  DLUN  CNTRL-TYPE  DADDR  DTYPE  RM  Inquiry-Data
   0     0  VME167      0      $00    N   CONNER   CFP1060S 1.05GB  20
167-Bug>bo 0,,,b:
Booting from: VME167, Controller 0, Drive 0

Volume: NBSD

WARNING: Configuration Parameters from CFGA Block Ignored

IPL loaded at: $003F0000
Boot: bug device: ctrl=0, dev=0

bootxx: first level bootstrap program [$Revision: 1.1 $]

>> BSD MVME167 bootsd [$Revision: 1.1 $]
boot: ,b:: No such file or directory
167-Bug>

i think there is 1 ',' in plus i remove it, and it seems to work better
but still bug few seconds later.
i need some help please, because i have to have a working board to
begining the writing of a device driver for the 332xt board.

ps: why the revision of the bootstrap program is different from the
first stage (1.2) and the second stage from the disk (1.1) ?

thanks

--
Kurkdjian Maxime
75013 - Paris