Subject: Re: Problem with MVME167
To: Andre Grosse Bley <gandalf@infinity.ping.de>
From: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 03/06/1999 17:52:39
On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Andre Grosse Bley wrote:

> i'm trying to install NetBSD-current (latest snapshot)  on a Motorola MVME 167
> board (68040 CPU, 33 Mhz, 32 MB Ram, label says MVME 167-34A)

Yup, identical to the one I have.

> When i boot "netbsd-rd" from tape (dds1, scsi id 6), the kernel starts
> up, changes console's speed to 9600 somewhere while detecting devices, gives
> me a large registerdump(?) and
> "panic: mmu fault.
> halted"

Hmm, when testing the snapshot I had a similar panic during boot from
tape. However I was never able to reproduce it subsequently; further
'boots' worked fine. Go figure.

> And drops me back into the boards debugger. Sorry, i cannot provide
> a logfile of startup yet, i've to connect our xterminal to the box
> to have a chance for scrollback + cut'n'paste.

Please post the logfile when you get it! It would also be useful if you
could capture the configuration of you board (the output of the ENV, NIOT
and CNFG 167Bug commands).

You could also try running the 167Bug diagnostics on the board just in
case there's a hardware fault somewhere.

Cheers, Steve