Subject: How do I install bootblocks?
To: None <port-mvme68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ahilan Anantha <ahilan@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 04/17/1997 20:04:19
Hello,

	Could someone tell me how to install bootblocks? I've tried
running the command while in single user mode:
/usr/mdec/installboot -v /mnt1/bootsd /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rsd0a

where /mnt1 is where I've mounted the root partition of my local disk.
Currently I'm NFS mounting root and usr from a Solaris machine, and I used
disklabel to partition the local SCSI disk.  I copied bootsd from
/usr/mdec. I'm working under the assumption that "bootxx" is the
primary boot loader and "bootsd" is the secondary boot loader. Is this
the correct way to do it?

Here is my disklabel:

# /dev/rsd0c:
type: SCSI
disk: SCSI disk
label: NetBSD
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 45
tracks/cylinder: 7
sectors/cylinder: 315
cylinders: 1310
total sectors: 415436
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

5 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:    63000      630    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    2 -
201)
  b:    63000    63630      swap                        # (Cyl.  202 -
401)
  c:   412650        0      boot                        # (Cyl.    0 -
1309)
  e:   246015   126630    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.  402 -
1182)

BTW, I changed "label" from "fictitious" to "NetBSD". Is this a bad thing?

Once I managed to get the first boot loader to be recognized (this was
before I renamed the label, and I was also experimenting with /dev/rsd0a
and /dev/rsd0c as arguments to installboot), but it failed with something
like "Incorrect UMAGIC number". When I do a "file" on bootsd it says:
/usr/mdec/bootsd: NetBSD/m68k executable not stripped

Oh, and I'm using NetBSD 1.2 .

Thanks,

Ahilan
Ahilan Anantha
Undergraduate, Electrical Engineering Computer Science
University of California, Berkeley