Subject: Supporting discontiguous memory
To: None <port-mvme68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 11/02/1996 18:35:19
Hello people,

This is probably more directed to Chuck and Jason, but what the heck... As
I mentioned to Chuck a while back, I've got an 8Mb expansion RAM card in
the VME rack, which I've got configured into the A24/D32 VME address space
starting just after the main 147's onboard 8Mb RAM. This works because
I've hacked the value in NVRAM 0xfffe0774 so that NetBSD thinks there's
16Mb onboard RAM.

However, doing this means I've used up all my A24/D32 address space :(
Up until now, this hasn't been a problem. But I now want to add a graphics
card which only supports A24 addressing.

The solution would seem to be to move the expansion RAM into A32/D32 space
and modify NetBSD/mvme68k to support this discontiguous setup. I could
probably do it myself if I could look at how some other ports had handled
this situation; assuming this occurs on other ports.

So, my question to Chuck/Jason is: Which other ports have to deal with
physically discontiguous RAM addresses, if any?

Cheers, Steve

PS. Got X11R6.1 (sans Xserver) to compile (took about 24hrs), install and
run with just a couple of files needing tweaked!

Steve Woodford: steve@mctavish.demon.co.uk             NetBSD-1.2/mvme68k
Small fast computers breed fat slow programmers.        Motorola MVME147S
                  ...This is a Microsoft free zone...