Subject: Re: 1.2 release
To: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.demon.co.uk>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@maria.wustl.edu>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 09/20/1996 20:03:27
In your letter dated Fri, 20 Sep 1996 20:32:54 +0000 (BST), you wrote:
>Great stuff, so I can just about freeze my -current tree and call it 1.2!

yup.   freeze away.   i would expected sup to revert from 1.2 back
to -current in about two weeks ago (hopefully!).

>Speaking of the lpt driver, I 'borrowed back' my printer when I was up
>in Scotland last weekend. The driver worked first time, which isn't
>really surprising since most of its based on code for another NetBSD
>port, and the rest is based on my VMiNT driver.

excellent!

>Anyhow, feel free to integrate it. (I had hoped it would make 1.2 :( )

If i had known how long it was going to take for 1.2 to get out I would
have done it.    But the original 1.2 release schedule didn't really allow
for it.    The problem was that:
  [a] we didn't stick to the release schedule
  [b] poor communication between the release engineer and everyone else
      involved about how far behind we were falling
  [c] not a lot of free time on my part to pester people about what
      the state of the release process was

Basically, I'm none to pleased with how this release dragged on and
think that something should be done differently next time.   But I don't
have the time right now to try and convince people to change it.   1.1
was the same way, but not quite as bad.

Also, since I've only got one VME147, during a release I pretty much
have to lock onto the release branch and ignore -current until the release
is done.    So there are some changes in -current that Jason has done
that I have not looked over very much (but he has tested them, so I'm
sure -current will at least run).    Now I've got to catch up on that,
and because the release dragged on and on and on it makes catching up
that much harder.   sigh.

chuck