Subject: Help writing Hardware drivers
To: NetBSD mvme68k <port-mvme68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stephan Boettcher <stephan@alzt.tau.ac.il>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 06/03/1996 17:40:27
Hi,

Now that I successfully installed NetBSD on my MVME147, I want to write
some drivers to access the special hardware of our data acqusition
system.  Since I never did that on a Un*x system, I need some help and
pointers.

I was looking for a nice .tgz file with the kernel and driver sources, to
get a template how this is done for the NetBSD mvme68k port, but it seems
that getting the sources at all is not straight forward.

The MVME147 is designed for such applications, so this should not be
something uncommon.

 1. Is it necessary to recompile the kernel to access extra hardware on
    the VME bus? ... to install interrupt service routines?

 2. Can somebody point me to some template sources, how to do the job?
    Is there documentation available on this kind of problems?

Thanks

Stephan

Stephan B"ottcher                       FAX: +972-3-640-7932
School of Physics and Astronomy         Tel: +972-3-640-7722
High Energy Physics Department            or           -8240
Tel Aviv University                   Email: stephan@alzt.tau.ac.il
69978 Tel Aviv                            or boettcher@desy.de
Israel                   WWW:  http://zow00.desy.de:8000/~stephan/home.html