Port-mipsco archive

Re: BOOTING A RC3330

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, s0nik42 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found three RC3330 without doc and monitor, and I would like to know if
> somebody know how to boot these boxes on the serial connector.
>
> I tried this way :
>
> - connect a PC with hyperterminal / minicom  and a null modem cable on
> serial 0.
> - Connect hyperterminal
> - Power ON the Box.
>
> 2 of them make a BIP when power on
> 1 didn't.
>
> Is anyone now what's wrong ?
>
> regards

I know it doesn't sound logical, but you will have more luck finding the
console on the "Serial 1" port and not the "Serial 0" port.

Serial 1 (DB25 Connector) is the default console port, and you can change
it to serial 0 (DB9 Connector) from the console prompt.

Sounds like you have the right type of cable, just check you are running
9600-N-8-1 with no hardware handshake and you should he talking.

2 other things that may help:

1)  When the NVRAM battery is running down it can end up with some weird
    data that the firmware doesn't understand which can cause it to loose
    its console altogether.
    If you *remove* the MK48T02 NVRAM chip (check the FAQ  for the
    location) and powerup without the chip installed it will default to
    Serial 1.  If the machine works with the chip removed and fails with
    it installed you need to fix the NVRAM as outlined in the FAQ.

2)  If you have a colour graphics option installed, there has been a
    report that removing the card can force a fallback to the serial
    port.

--
Wayne Knowles                   NetBSD/mipsco port maintainer
wdk%netbsd.org@localhost                        http://www.netbsd.org