Port-mipsco archive

Re: Rx3230 MIPS install question

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <20021110223614.L757-100000%grunt.lab@localhost>
>             Wayne Knowles <wdk%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:
> : On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> :
> : > I have a 3230 that I'd like to get runing NetBSD.  I have no big
> : > endian NetBSD machines.  I have RiskOS running on the machine now.  It
> : > has the typicall 2 200MB disks in it.  I have a few 1G narrow disks
> : > that I'll replace the 200M disks with once I get NetBSD running on the
> : > machine.
> : >
> : > It boots right now, but only if i remove the color video card (it
> : > hangs testing it, maybe I'm impatient), so I can manipulate the disks
> : > from RISC/OS realtively easily.
> : >
> : > Are the instructions that are in
> : >   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mipsco/2002/09/16/0000.html
> : > still the most up to date?
> :
> : Yes, that install procedure is still current.
>
> OK.  Is the raw partition really 10?  I did the following:

Slice 10 should be correct (use prtvtoc to display partition details), or
more correctly partition 8, which is the volume header.

> # dd if=diskimage of=/dev/dsk/sdc0d2s10 bs=32k
> # shutdown -i0 -g0 -y
>
> The system is down.
>
> Rx3230 MIPS Monitor: Version 5.42 OPT Thu Mar 7 14:18:57 PST 1991 root
> Memory size: 16777216 (0x1000000) bytes, 16 MB
> Icache size: 32768 (0x8000) bytes
> Dcache size: 32768 (0x8000) bytes
> >> boot dksd(,2,8)boot
> 210192+58672+230560 entry: 0xa0600000
> Standalone Shell: Version 5.03 OPT Tue Jan 15 07:37:34 PST 1991 root

> 6480
> attempt to overlay sash text, data, or bss
> Can't load dksd(,2,8)boot
> sash:
>
> Ideas?  Or should I just dd it with on a different system where I know
> the 'raw' partition :-0.

boot -f dksd(,2,8)boot
     ^^
     Required to prevent stand-alone shell (SASH) from being pre-loaded
     Error indicated the NetBSD bootstrap is being loaded into memory
     occupied by the sash loader (ie.  You shouldn't see the SASH banner)

or:

setenv bootfile dksd(,2,8)boot
boot

(nb. bootfile can be reset to dksd(,,8)sash to boot RISC/os)

Good Luck!

--
Wayne Knowles                   NetBSD/mipsco port maintainer
wdk%netbsd.org@localhost                        http://www.netbsd.org