Subject: Re: Question about mono video output of Mag3000
To: None <port-mipsco@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-mipsco
Date: 08/10/2001 10:34:09
>> I have recently picked up a Magnum 3000(mono, 64M, tape-drive, no HD in
>> main unit) and was wondering what output signal the mono video output was.
>> My guess was that it was composit video, but I didn't want to toast my
>> machine.  Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> The Mono output is 1152 x 900 @72Hz composite video (around 64KHz hsync
> by my calculations).   This output is activated when you have a PS/2
> keyboard in the keyboard port.
>
> The NetBSD/mipsco port has no support for the framebuffer, it can only be
> booted using the serial port.

It's relatively easy to accomplish to have wscons on the mono
framebuffer.  All what to do is to grab aligned chunk of main memory
upon startup and enable a DMA channel to pump up the region to display
continuously.  Magnum 3000 colour framebuffer is an optional hardware
and its internal is more complicated a bit since MIPSco engineers
wanted to utilize 4KB pagesize nature of R3000 processor.

-nisimura